Thursday, June 9, 2011

Blog Entry by Kyle Risser: Czech Food



Since I arrived in the Czech Republic, I have been making countless observations and comparisons as to what differs between here and America. The one difference that sticks out the most to me is the food. My classmates and I have all discussed the fact that the food here is very rich and heavy. The Czech prefer meat and beer with almost every meal, and so far there hasn’t been much for “light” choices. Before coming here I would have considered meat and beer to be a delightful combination. However, we have all experienced the toll that it can take on our bodies. Desperate for some American style cuisine, I decided to take a shot at the KFC and later, the McDonalds. For the most part it was very similar. The menus are reduced, but they have the basic cuisine that any American KFC or McDonalds would have. I thought it was slightly odd that I had to pay for ketchup packets for the first time in my life. Not only that, it was 10 crowns just to go to the bathroom (16.5 crowns = approx $1US)! Regardless of those differences, it was a nice taste of home. I am curious to try some more new Czech foods, and I am sure that I can find something that will suit my appetite.

Teacher's Note: We are putting a slight twist on the "Flat Stanley" project (for those aware of the Flat Stanley project that has been around schools for the past 40+ years). We are assuming that Flat Stanley is a business executive visiting the various countries we will visit. Stanley is writing a report to future business executives who might visit these countries, telling them what to expect and how to prepare for business travels and communication in these countries. Hence, the pictures of Flat Stanley under the McD and KFC signs!

No comments:

Post a Comment