Friday, June 24, 2011

Andrew Adams Post: Reflections on Auschwitz-Birkenau





Note to readers: Our students were greatly impacted by their visit to Auschwitz. Each student can select a topic of his/her interest for the blog entry; hence another very moving experience by one of our students: Andrew Adams.

Visiting the death camp Auschwitz-Birkenau was a life changing experience that chilled my bones and soul. The image that I will never be able to shake from my memory is the picture on the wall of the Roma children who were used as experiments by the Nazi medical scientists. The children were so young, sickeningly skinny, and looked as though they had been terrorized and tortured by demons from hell. Seeing that image hit me like a rock because not only was the image visually disturbing, but I was actually in the room where these atrocities took place. I could feel, smell, and spiritually sense the pain and suffering that had occurred in that room. It not only saddened me, but made me ashamed of humanity, and angry that a group of people could be so evil to another human being. I consider myself a citizen of the world, meaning that every person of every nationality in the world is my brother or sister. I could not imagine being a German soldier and being asked to perform such atrocities, or worse be the subject of the terror.

No comments:

Post a Comment